Sunday 1 December 2013

Getting the hang of it now


My second post this weekend: I am running a blog with three colleagues about the current trends in language education in Finland. It is also a new venture, even younger than my Webskills blog but already I am getting the feeling that I know what blogs can be used for. My yesterday’s post was, believe it or not, about encouraging Finnish teachers of languages to use the net and to be brave about testing the limits of what they can do as professionals: the net and the computers will not break down! It is in anticipation of the OECD PISA results for 2012, DUE TOMORROW! Finland won't  be at the top any longer and it is problems in teachers' webskills that will be blamed, among a lot of things.
 
In Webskills, I think, luckily,
I am starting to see the whole picture of it: I think this course of ours has a wonderful structure. It is a nice rather gentle incremental process, piece by piece we get the feel of selected samples of the myriads of things on the net and we start to see where these bits and pieces belong to in the architecture of the (educational) net. It is rather a comfortable way to construct webskills of our own. I just wonder how those study mates of mine see the process who are already quite experienced. It must be a very different learning path for them.
 
Off to see my doctor now, I think I may be coming down with a flu::(

PS: About the picture above, I picked it up from Clipart as you may have guessed. Clipart is just great when you need a smart(ish) picture and you do not want to worry about copyright issues. My Finnish language post was titled: "My dolphin armbands" as I wanted to show colleagues who are insecure about getting "webskilled" that you can always find ways to keep you afloat in this big ICT stream. You can lean on a more skilled colleague or just hop on a project that requires some web skills, relying on the help of more expert partners. Or, you should follow your intuition and grab the moment by the neck, like I did when I was offered the possibility of playing guineapig for an on-line course in elementary Estonian a dozen years ago.  

No comments:

Post a Comment